Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Quick reviews of games

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 05 Sep, 2006 00:51

If I've been very enthousiastic about some games I've also been, I must say, sadely disapointed by others like Electroplankton which I will use to start this short reviews' topic.

Electroplankton is among the 3 first games I've bought and if I still play to the two others (Nintendogs and Mario Kart DS to not name them ;)), I've only played about ....mmm .... let's say ... one hour at max to Electroplankton.

The concept is very fun but sadely becomes verrrrry boring.

I hoped I would find in Electroplankton a kind of DS version of PS2's Rez which is among my most favourite games of all time, all supports.

The fact is that Electroplankton is not really a game but a kind of funny gadget about which you get very quickly blasé.

The different "mini games" are funny but not at all fun. You don't really "play a game" (like in Rez where you sweat !!! :D) and you don't really as well create anything as the theme ou "compose" are way too short and too simple to have any interrest for your ears and, anyway, you cannot record your "work" ...

The idea is very good but clearly under-exploited or just not finished ... Electroplankton is simply not a game but a "thing" with poor interrest passed the first 15 minutes ...

Think about it twice if you want to get it ...

To continue with our 6 points marks ... I'd give it a 1/6

captainnimmo
elite
elite

Postby captainnimmo » Tue 05 Sep, 2006 12:06

i only have three games on the DS at the moment:

mario kart
new super mario bros ds
resident evil

the first two are no brainers, must haves, and exactly what you expect.
resident evil is a bit harder to rate as i havent given it the time it deserves yet. my friend has tetris, which he says is a bit of time filler and nothing really new about it, and then i want sonic rush, because i love sonic games. my friend also had animal crossing, which just seemed pointless

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Trauma Center : Under The Knife

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 07 Oct, 2006 00:34

A few months ago, knowing about Liewen's present (th DS ;)), Nau has offered me the game Trauma Center : Under The Knife for my birthday.

Problem is that when I've had it Liewen has been so caught bu the game that I just couldnt put my hand on it, except if it was to help her passing a stage she had difficulties with :D

I've finally really discover it and enjoed it A LOT.

This game is one of the stressing one I've played to, one of the rare games where every single second counts ! ;)

The animation is very well done, giving you amazingly the feeling that you are really practicing surgery. The game is as original and well thought as enjoyable.

The use of the pen is great except for one single tool which is the microscope. Personnaly I sometimes have to draw several "circles" before my order gets understood. Otherwise all is working perfectly and I recommand it if you're looking for a new game on your DS :)

My mark: 5/6

captainnimmo
elite
elite

Resident Evil DS

Postby captainnimmo » Wed 08 Nov, 2006 15:49

Now i have finished Resident Evil DS i can give my review!

it was a hard game to start, and due to not keeping enough herbs to heal, a bit difficult to finish, but they adapted it smartly, making it so you can save more often, as you are on a hand-help, and the knife fighting with the stylus was fun, i like RE games, so i enjoyed this one, even if the voice acting and cut scenes are poor, it made me jump a couple of times, and was generally a fun game to go through

if you;re wondering, it took about 8 hours of game play, and that was partly because i ahdnt played the original and ahd only played RE4 which is different in lots of ways to the other RE;s oh, and i was playing on normal not hard.

now on to castlevania!!

zarghatt
roaming
roaming

Postby zarghatt » Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:41

For the people that eventually plan to buy this magnificent little machine, I can do a quick list of the game I got on it :
- Meteos 4.5/6 and incredibely fast and instinctive puzzle game
- Mario & Luigi Bros in Time 5/6 I love all the Mario RPGs anyway
- Mario Kart DS 5,5/6 huge !
- Wario Ware Touched 3,5/6 a short & crazy nice little game
- Children of Mana 2/6 (real disapointement for the Seiken Densetsu 2 freak that I am)
- Advance Wars Dual Strike 4,5/6 I love the whole serie of the Nintendo Wars since the first one (Super Famicom Wars) and this one is really great
- Project Rub 4/6 short but sooo fun
- Worms Open Warfare 1,5/6 what a waste...
- Final Fantasy III 5/6 very nice remake and interesting additional footage
- Brain Training 1 3,5/6 some nice ideas
- Castelvania Dawn of Sorrow 5.5/6 what a bloody good game !
- Monkey Ball Touch & Roll 2,5/6 the gameplay is adapted with much difficulty from the others versions and is not so nice to play with this harware. The mini games are not as good as in the others MB.
- Magical Starsign 4/6 kinda nice for the moment (I haven't finshed it yet)... after the very boring 2-3 first hours
- Trauma Center Under The Knife 6/6 THE game of this console. Just perfect.

And I'm a real lamer because I still haven't tried Phoenix Wright (I don't wanna play it in German and it's the only version I can find here, so I should buy in on internet one of these days, it's probably very cheap now).
Last edited by zarghatt on Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Let off some steam, Bennett !

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:52

Wow ! Indeed you seem DS addicted :D

Btw, I've forgotten  to drives you to The Lost Map which should help you to discover the place ;)

I'm sorry to play "the old guy" but please watch the language. I've deactivated the word filters as it was quite boring but try to avoid profusion of curses for the young readers, even if the ones we had have reached majority now

zarghatt
roaming
roaming

Magical Starsign

Postby zarghatt » Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:50

This console has an incredible choice of great games and I'm almost always playing at least one of them at the time (among my other consoles & PC games)...

I continued some of the ones I reviewed above, and particulary Magical Starsign, which I finally don't consider as good that I tough... let's reevaluate my initial "grade" to 2/6, because of the boring, slow and kinda stupid dialogues, or for the endless and repetitive fights during the exploration phases. It's an extremely rare case of RPG that I abandoned after more than 15 hours of playing, because I couldn't stand one more word of the infantile and useless sentences that are polluating the whole game (which as, on the side of the negative points I mentioned, some very interesting gameplay concepts... what a waste).
So if you want a real RPG on this console, try the remake of FF III or wait for Dragon Quest IX.

I also started Castlevania Portrait of Ruin and for the moment I consider it as good as Dawn of Sorrow. The gameplay as been rethinked but is still based on some of the great specificities the previous episode had. This time, you can play two characters at the time with some nice combo possibilities, and the choice of different attack & magic skills becomes quickly kinda huge.
It seems a little more difficult than DoS, I really got problems on one boss (the sort of big brain that throws dozen of zombies on you^^) and I had to do some levelling to beat him.
People who like the Castlevania's serie have to try this one too.
Let off some steam, Bennett !

-WN- Jo-Daddy
peon
peon

Postby -WN- Jo-Daddy » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 20:09

I just got the Professor Layton game (I cannot for the life of me remember the whole title) and if you are a fan of Mind-teasers and logic puzzles, then this game is IT!  The story tends to be a little bland, but the complexity of the puzzles and the rush you get when you get it right are well worth it, it has some nicely done cut-scene movies as well.  Weekly downloadable updates over Wi-Fi make replayability worthwhile as well.

Return to “Gamers Unite!”