Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 05 Jun, 2010 02:49

I've tested this week on my Xbox 360 one game of a far too rarely represented kind on Xbox and PS3: the family/friends quiz games.

Today I own the first two Scene It! games which are nice but a bit restrictive as questions are only about movies. I also have Trivial Pursuit which offers a lot more variety in its questions but sadly those questions are aiming 8 years old children :P

So if I was a bit afraid about the rendering of NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life, I decided myself to get it nevertheless as I wanted a more generalist quiz game which offered a bit of a challenge. And NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life did manage to satisfy me on these two points!

First of all, the interface is far to be horrible. It is not amazingly beautiful but it doesn't have to be ashamed regarding the former titles mentioned. Ok we don't get to have our avatars like with Scene It! Box Office but the game is not an Xbox exclusive as it is also released on PS3 and will be soon on Wii too.

Image Image Image Image

Thanks to its partnership with the National Geographic Society, NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life comes with 90 min of high definition videos and more than 200 high-resolution images illustrating the 5000 questions awaiting you around 4 great series:
  • Amazing Planet
  • Dangerous Encounters
  • Aquatic Life
  • Predators vs. Prey
Better, there is not just a quiz mode available but other kinds of game as well. There is first the Stat Attax, a kind of Magic card game which really hasn't much interest except than adding one or two easy won successes to your XBL gamer score :D.

There is of course then the Quiz which can be played from solo up to 4 teams. You can chose to restraint to one of the series mentioned earlier or go to the Mega Quiz which mixes them all. You can also chose the quiz to be 40, 60 or 80 questions. The quiz is then cut in 5 sets offering different kind of games: sometimes the faster you answer correctly, the more point you get; other time you have to bet how many points you ready to win or lose on the next question; or in another mode first answering correctly is invited to take the points earned on another player score... Therefore one cannot be sure till the end that he will win the game which is always a good thing when you play between friends ;)

Finally, the Quest mode allows you to unlock each episodes of each series by passing 10 questions quizzes. Between 7/10 and 10/10 you unlock new stuff, including new episodes which allows you to continue your discovery of our planet. Indeed each episode consists of a quiz yes but also of a little courses with a short video, pictures and some facts presented as post-its or notes over your exploration table. Taking the time to read these notes will most certainly help you to pass the quiz brilliantly enough to continue your road. Sometimes you won't open a new episode but a hint which will indicate you where on the globe to look and seek for the next hidden episode. Other times you unlock pieces for some puzzles which I've found unexpectedly pleasant to do as well :)

Sure there are still things to improve and this is clearly not the game of the year but I find it really honest, enjoyable and refreshing as it brings some novelty. NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life is supposed to be the first of a series to come. For now I still have many things to discover on this one but I'll certainly look forward to the next incoming games of the series.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Re: NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 00:02

Bumping this deserted topic as Gusto Games just updated their official website: http://www.gustogames.com/

From there you'll be able to finally reach NatGeo Quiz! Wild Life's official website where you'll see some of the pictures I was talking about in my review ;)

Return to “Gamers Unite!”