Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Wonderful Days

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:31

I have it since several months already on dvd but as it has finally been released in movie theater in France, tonight with Digi, Nau, Bradaviel, Blunt and Absinthe we've been to see Wonderful Days

Clicking on the poster up here will drive you to the officiel south-korean website where you'll be able to see the trailers. These trailers which had drived me mad a few mounths ago when I wasn't thinking the anime would ever been released in France.

And be sure this anime does deserve to be seen in cinema  8)

The action of this anime takes place in the future when the Earth has been very near the point of non return because of human pollution and disrespect of the environnment.

To survive to this new situation, humans have regrouped in a new city called Ecoban whose energy is made from the pollution. Many rescaped have tried to reach Ecoban and have been asked to stay out as the Ecobaners were afraid these refugee would have cared diseases and infections.

Now as the population of Ecoban is very sophisticated and rich, the refugees have built the city of Marr which is awfully poor. The Marrians are the work force of the Ecobaners who treat them with most disrespect. Ecobaners do not see Marrians as their human brothers but as stupid animals.

This attitude is little by little creating a good atmosphere for riots and rebellion of the Marrians.

In the same time Ecoban's energy power is getting low and low and the Council decides to burn the oil fields and Mar to generate more pollution to be used by their power plant.

Hopefully for the Marrans, two people have joined them from Escoban, both of them claiming that the pollution is disapearing and the Wonderful Days of blue sky, sun and healthy nature will come back if they manage to destroy Ecoban and prevent it to create pollution again...

The story is interresting but quite thin. I must admit the most interresting part of this movie is in the amazing quality of its animation and its very good "directing".

The animation combines 3D CGI for the sets, vehicles, ... and traditionnal 2D animation for the characters as the directors was not satisfied by the use of 3D for showing emotions.

The result is amazing. The landscapes are absolutely astonishing  :)

You might think because of the trailer and the pics that the movie is non-stop action and it is not at all the case. Au contraire, the movie is sometimes very slow, you have in it very poetic scenes and I love the music.

I'm thinking that I might find it easily now that the movie has been released here.  :roll:

According to its IMDB fic, Wonderful Days has already been well shown in festivals but poorly distributed till now  :?

Canada 26 April 2003 (Waterloo Festival for Animated Cinema) (premiere)
France 15 May 2003 (Cannes Film Festival)
South Korea 10 July 2003 (Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival)
South Korea 17 July 2003  
USA 21 January 2004 (Sundance Film Festival)
France 29 January 2004 (Gérardmer Fantasticarts Film Festival)
Belgium 17 March 2004 (Brussels International Festival of Fantasy Films)
Netherlands 15 April 2004 (Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival)
USA 17 April 2004 (San Francisco International Film Festival)
Germany 2 June 2004 (DVD premiere)
France 16 June 2004  
Finland 2 July 2004

Wonderfull Days has won in Gérardmer Festicarts Film Festival the Grand Prix Anim'Arts of the best anime movie.

I think it clearly deserves this price  and invite you to see it / rent it / buy it if you haven't seen it already.

Each time I see it I find it better (the first time I had thought it was a little bit to slow though...) and I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to see it on a big screen in cinema. If you have also this opportunity, take it :)

I give it a 6/6.

Chevvie

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Fri 25 Jun, 2004 00:51

Aaaaaaaaaw. I've been hesitating for 10 minutes between 5 and 6 on the rating board of this movie.

Eventually I give it a 5, because I try to give seldom a 6, to keep its meaning of "masterpiece". Wonderfull Days is a very good anime, with an incredible looks, a fantastic character design, marvelous sets and landscapes, smooth animation, crazy action scenes, many poetic moments, and everything. It really really gets close to 6. But unfortunately it lacks something that would have made it perfect : a good story. It's a real shame, but the story is quite simple, neither very surprising nor really moving. At least I was not so deeply moved as when I see anime movies I call masterpiece, like, say, Mononoke Hime. But then again, it is very close.

Like I said the other day when we were leaving the theatre : this movie is like a slick screen-saver. It's beautiful, you never get tired of watching it, even if there's not really any story at all. Pointless, but hypnotically beautiful. Probably a good way to get into meditation, or yoga, or something.
Si tu bois sans avoir soif, faut pas t'etonner de pisser sans en avoir envie...

Blog Tumblr

Return to “Asia”