Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Paris, Je T'aime

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 02 Jul, 2006 12:17

Yesterday night with Liewen, diotime, her boyfriend and Nau, we 've escaped the match Brasil-France, rushing to the movie theater to see a movie I was expecting since a very long time: Paris, Je T'aime.

IMDb wrote: Paris, je t'aime (2006)
Genre: Romance
TagLine: One City. 10 Millions Hearts. One Love Story. One Film.
Runtime: France:120 min
Language: English / French
Full cast and crew: => HERE <=

The originality of this project is that its is composed by several 5 minutes shorts listed below in the order they appear in the movie :

Of course, all shorts are not at the same level and, for example, we all agreed yesterday that Faubourg Saint-Denis by Tom Tykwer and Tuileries by Joel and Ethan Coen were clearly on the top ranks while none of us had understood what was going on in Porte de Choisy by Christopher Doyle which is totally weird, funny but weird ;)

The 5 minutes format was required and it's not that easy to film a story in such a short time so while  Walter Salles and Daniela Thomas manage to pass so many un-formulated emotions in that time with Loin du 16e, other shorts give you a taste of "unfinished" which, in a way, also finally contributes to the movie as your attention is kept on the edge.

As you can see it on the pictures, the casting for Paris, Je T'aime is quite impressive with actors like Steve Buscemi, Nick Nolte, Bob Hoskins, Willem Dafoe, ... and so on ... but, finally the cast is quite poor in french actors and if the marketing around the movie insists on the fact that in Paris, Je T'aime all people speak their own language, finally it ends as a trap as with very very rare exceptions you only hear french and english (to not say "american").

First it's quite weird there are no more french actors in the movie as for most of the role where we have it, an english speaking actor was clearly not essential. Second the cast is far to be as international, and therefore rich, as Paris population is.

Some shorts like Gurinder Chadha's Quais de Seine or Oliver Schmitz's Place des Fêtes counter that, trying to show the diversity of the population and cultures but... most of the shorts show realtionships between french and american people and you then have the strange feeling that Paris is quite an american city.

No doubt this movie will work very well in USA and that one of the unofficial goals to it is to awake the american tourism in Paris which as diminished very seriously after 2001/9/11 and is just starting back.

But I'm quite disapointed to not see, as it was announced a short from Wong Kar Wai or other foreign directors or french directors like Michel Gondry (who was involved as far as I know at the begining) or Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

Finally, you don't learn much more about Paris itself as most of the story could have happened anywear else. I think that a little bit more involvment from parisian directors would have managed to change that a bit.

Anyway Paris, Je T'aime stays a very interresting experiment and is certainly a good entertainment.

I mark it with a very well deserved 4/6.

And end quite briefly my review as Liewen is currently awaiting for me in Disneyland  Paris :D

Chevvie

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Mon 10 Jul, 2006 19:03

I liked it too while I m genarally not a fan of the short movies - I like to enter in a plot or something and dislike the feeling that it ends when it should begin.

There is a feeling too that it is mostly written and directed by foreigners and that the city is not really a character in most of the stories, well, it could happen in London or Sydney or Hong Kong or anyother big city.

But anyway some stories are well above others, I liked the touch of charm of the Walter Salles movie, the monologue in the closing Alexander Payne movie which is very honest about the knowledge of the city, and is very subtle too about thoughts of a lone foreigner in a distant city.

The Tom Twyker passge is really good too, probably one of the most originals seen the length of very short movie.

Good news in the Place des Fêtes passage, the only one with an agression and a multicultural taste, american tourists won t be coming here for a while :p - anyway there are welcome- just joking. This movie by Oliver Schmitz was interresting thus.

Coen's brothers scene with Steve Buscemi is just hilarious, and the vampire in Vincenzo Natali's movie is a good change to mind. The best comic movie of all is probably Sylvain Chomet's one, with a silly mime, playing on stereotypes but really original finally.

Others are less convincing, Wes Craven movie is not his best, when Gus van Sant one is rather useless.

Olivier Assayas is rather ridiculous (the one with Juliette Binoche playing Juleittte Binoche, but has she ever done anything else ?)

This is one of the weaknesses (or stong points ?) of the movie, you ve goyt the feeling that you see the work of students after an examination - he did good, he s disappointing so on...

Heard that some legal arguments prevented some short movies to be released, as well as transition sequences that were planned.

Anyway a nice moment with 3/6

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 10 Jul, 2006 21:14

Is that Outlaw Blueberry in that last photo? ;)
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 10 Jul, 2006 22:26

Rawhide wrote:Is that Outlaw Blueberry in that last photo? ;)

Yup ! The one and only parisian outlaw ;)

Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Postby Black Widow » Sat 22 Jul, 2006 14:31

Paris je t'aime. pas. :(

I've been very disappointed. I almost went out of the theater (although I don't like to do so), but I stayed because I was with somebody. Which was a good thing because the "best" stories were at the end.

Unfortunately there were not enough of them. I loved the last one with the american tourist, it was my favorite, and "place des fêtes".
the Coen's and Natali's ones were fun. The mimes too.
About the rest: at best just not interesting. And a lot were simply bad, with awful actors (only some french ones. how ironic. foreign actors were familiar faces and have proved to be good a while ago), dialogues that don't sound natural at all (my gosh, how terrible were "montmartre" and chinatown!) and a bunch of clichés (a gay couple for the Marais, how original!).

2/6 (mostly for the last story). Please no more movies about Paris, it made me want to leave this city even more! :?

Return to “Europe”