0/6
No votes

Total votes: 4
Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Grindhouse : Planet Terror

Postby Nau of Sands » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 17:28

Ust a few words about Grindhouse : Planet Terror by Robert Rodriguez, the second segment of the Grindhouse project by Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez.

I haven’t  seen the first segment “ Death Proof “ as here they were put in two different movies depending on the countries.

The whole “ Planet Terror” movie is a reference to old Grindhouse movies, low budget, low quality films that were seen and directed in the 1970s and ealrly 80s in the USA.

This is a kind of revival with many references to survival, slashers and zombie movies, done with a real energy by Robert Rodriguez. This is just as heavy as you may expect, and that s just what is so great with it. Heavy music, heavy special effects, heavy dialogue lines, heavy action.

I ve not always been a big fan of Robert Rodriguez, I liked From dusk till dawn and Sin City, but I ve been quite impressed by this one, as it s a kind of pure theatre moment, about campy movies, bad projection conditions and joy of watching a silly action movie.

The work done with the footage is impressive since it has been deliberately deteriorated, but as the movies goes on, one realize it s done with purpose regarding what s going on screen. Tense moment are illustrated with  an overly destroyed footage leading to oddly beautiful pics. The amazing think with the whole movie is the incredible beauty of its photographs, withy subtle lightning effects, camera moves and a close attention for the music underlining the action. Robert Rodriguez shows here that he is a master director, the odd thing being showing it in a pseudo campy movie. The opening credits with an amazing gogo dance gives the general tune of the show, truly beautiful in its own style.

The storyline plays with the expectations of the viewer, the evidence of the script and dialogues to set up some surprises, or deliberately unsurprising things, with the hilarious missing reel in the middle. I just can tell you it s about zombies generated by the mistake of some military scientists links with war on terror and who are opposed to a group of survivors led by an one-legged gogo dancer.

Rodriguez personal touch is great, and he gains you with the feeling that he has made the movie he wanted to see, not the movie the audience expects. And by doing this he is just contagious with his passion for grind house movies.

The character writing is well done, and makes the whole thing work even more efficiently.

Maybe the real drawback is the overly heavy second degree of all this. This is not really scarry, not really frightening nor really tense since we feel sometimes if s just fake.

But for its great writing, filming, interpretation it truly deserves a 5/6.

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 20:22

After a  bad Death Proof ( 2/6 ), I expected a lot of planet terror because it's the real hommage of the movie's of the 70's
Planet terror is fun, i never laugh so much in cinema, it's really a MUST see
6/6
with the hilarous machette trailer  :D

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 25 Nov, 2007 16:43

I've finally seen it thanks Anakin (and thanks to work for seeing it so late :P) and must stay I've liked it but, just liked it.

It found it just a little better than average. I gave it a 4/6 but it's just to not give it a 3.

I spent a nice moment watching it but after your comments I expected better...

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 19:22

I haven't seen Planet Terror yet, but I thought Grindhouse was a huge disappointment. I was watching it on On Demand at home when my niece got up and came downstairs. I didn't think it was appropriate for her, so I turned it off about half way through. I haven't had the desire to go back and finish it since then. I'll reserve final judgement until I see Planet Terror.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Clint008
peon
peon

Postby Clint008 » Sat 09 Aug, 2008 14:36

This film is so funny :D
I like Robert Rodrigez for this film (and Sin City), a lot of laught and blood. It's so big that the film is very great. You have to take this to the 2nd degree.
I've seen it on theater and at school (my cinema teacher was very prood to show us one of here favorite film :D). I've to buy it with "Death Proof".
6/6!
[French]
PSP/PS3 user
ImageImage

Return to “North America”