semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Cloverfield (USA/2008)

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 15:04

A long time I've been silent here despite my new year's wishes :roll:

Here I come back today with Cloverfield, one of the most awaited movies of the beginning of the year according to the buzz existing on the web after the trailers had been released. Buzz so big that it forces producer J.J. Abrams to keep the movie work name for its release (it was supposed to become Greyshot).

IMDb wrote: Cloverfield (2008)
Director: Matt Reeves
Genre: Action / Sci-Fi / Thriller
Runtime: 85 min
Language: English
Color: Color
Certification:

Some will say that I miss a very cool thing but yet I've never seen one single episode of the tv series Lost, which made me having no special excitement or awes regarding the fact that the name of J.J. Abrams, creator of the series, was behind Cloverfield. But like many others, I had been very intrigued about what the hell was going on in the trailers. Despite a 3 days stagnating headache I then rushed with Liewen, absinthe, Lord and Nau to a French premiere last Friday.

Hopefully I discovered then that my brain still had some kind of "survival reflexes" as my headache decrease frankly in the first minutes of the movie. Otherwise I guess my head would have exploded and, actually, Liewen was quite sick at the end of the movie. I completely understand the following warning which can be found in some movie theaters.

Due to the filming method used for "Cloverfield", guests viewing this film may experience side effects associated with motion sickness similar to riding a rollercoaster

Take this warning seriously and do not sit yourself at the first rank in front of a huge movie theater screen or I assure you you'll get out pretty ill. :D

But this technical is also the force of the movie, mixing different genres. First, the obvious reference is Godzilla, the Japanese BIG monster ravaging the city which actually inspired the movie according to J.J. Abrams who said in interviews that the idea of the movie came to him seeing his son playing with a Godzilla toy while they were in Japan.

Then the second reference  everybody thinks about is of course The Blair Witch Project which I had personally found amazingly boring but had brought some novelty in its treatment non the less for those who had never seen the great (but quite disturbing) C'est Arrivé Près de Chez Vous.

Indeed the movie is supposed to be shot all along by a digital camera hold most of the time by Hud Platt, best pal of Rob Hawkins supposed to leave New-York for a very interesting "vice-president" job in Japan. At the surprise leaving party Hud is asked to take the camera in order to record all guests' farewell message to Rob.

The 20 first minutes of Cloverfield are totally dedicated to the characters. During this first part of the movie we get to know them and learn about some little love affairs between them and so on. The party starts to become a bit boring actually when suddenly a sinister scream is heard and the electricity is cut for a few seconds.

Everyone rushes to the TV reporting an earthquake in Manhattan and then goes to the roof to see a huge explosion forcing them to run down because of the burning projections.

Hud holds the camera all along and from now on decides to keep it in order to deliver a testimony about what is going on. Cloverfield really starts...

And from now another reference quickly comes to mind, and none the least one: Alien. Here the characters we are following are as lost and confused than the Nostromo guys dealing with the alien. Only the scale changes. The Nostromo becomes Manhattan; the alien become a 25 storeys monster (I invite only those who have seen the movie to click here and see a concept art of the monster).

Sadely for them, only the scale of the characters we follow doesn't change, even if we could count the military presence as a serious improvement :D

The important thing is that they don't know what is going on. The confusion brings a lot to the atmosphere. The only source of information they have are the rumours from the scary crowds, the surpassed soldiers or the tv which, from time to time is also filmed by Thud, giving us this way some more information from others' images.

I've really liked that movie which counts very few necessary lenghts at is begining in order to not leave us breathe after in a total confusion. Don't expect to have much replies to your questions during the movie as these reply can only come after the events. For now we are on the front, where immediate action is required for survival.

I've seen on the web, and also anakinfett told it to me, that there was a possible link with the tv series Lost. As said before I'm not at all qualified to get in this right now due to my total ignorance of the series. If there is a link, it might give me the motivation required to see it though. But actually I don't need replies to appreciate the movie (I'm a Lynch fan, I'm used to get out cinema with a lot of unanswered questions ;)).

If there has to be a sequel, I'd prefer to have another point of view of the same events with another cameraman than a sequel uncovering to many things and preventing us to ever see the first movie the same way...

The form brings a lot to Cloverfield and if you are sure to not become sick you really should see it. It's hard to mark it with this element cause the best point of the movie is also is worst for the stomach...

Anyway I go for a 5/6. You'd have been warned ;)

Chevvie

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 07:34

I haven't seen it yet, but of 5 people I know that saw it, 1 loved it, 1 hated it, and the other 4 said it was pretty good but way too short.

Personally, I'm not going to pay theater price for a movie that short (85 minutes).
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:46

I think one person you don't know has hidden herself among the 5 people you knew ;) (1 who liked + 1 who disliked + 4 who found it too short = 6)

Regarding the duration, well, it used to be the norm years ago. I prefer that the movie stands 85 "full minutes" than it stands 2 hours or more with me looking at my watch from time to time, boring as obviously some scenes have been added to reach the 2 hours movie or more...

Not to mention all people saying the handicam batteries have an amazing duration... actually 85 min is not that much :)

Anyway I really don't think that the duration is the good criteria to evaluate a movie.

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 17:57

Chevalier Bayard wrote:Anyway I really don't think that the duration is the good criteria to evaluate a movie.

If they'd condensed the two Matrix rip-offs... er sequels... to the actual 85 minutes of plot instead of padding them both out with meaningless busy CGI so they could justify getting people to pay twice, then they could have turned out something vaguely watchable.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 18:07

Ah ah  ! On this too I disagree but you already know that ;)

Anyway I disagree for the Matric case but agree on the fact that there seemed to be indeed a fashion for long trilogies after the one we all know. Which was initally supposed to be one movie btw. And in this case the long versions are way better than the theatrical ones, in particular for The Two Towers and The Return Of The King...

But we're going out of the subject... Do we have any Lost fans around who have see Cloverfield and think there is a link as well ?

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 18:43

Chevalier Bayard wrote:Ah ah  ! On this too I disagree but you already know that ;)

Anyway I disagree for the Matric case but agree on the fact that there seemed to be indeed a fashion for long trilogies after the one we all know. Which was initally supposed to be one movie btw. And in this case the long versions are way better than the theatrical ones, in particular for The Two Towers and The Return Of The King...

But we're going out of the subject... Do we have any Lost fans around who have see Cloverfield and think there is a link as well ?

The lord of the rings was supposed to be one 2 hours movie bye the director of "shakespeare in love" and when Jackson took the lead ( huhu ) 2 movies ( 2 hours each ) For the extended versions I find the better are the fellowship and the two towers, I was disapointed by the extended return of the king ( I am not a "false fan" :D  )

I watch "lost" and I would certainly see "cloverfield" tomorrow evening, but Abrams is only producer, not director or writer on cloverfield, his name sells the project like Tarantino with Hostel but I am not sure he did something...

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 18:51

Abrams is supposed to be behind the story as he claims the idea comes from one of his son's toys of Godzilla, as said above... But indeed, he is not credited as a writer ... Some producers have more influence than others on the movies. We'll see.

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 18:55

do you believe in star trek 11 now ? :P

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 18:59

snake wrote:do you believe in star trek 11 now ? :P

NO ! :tears:

The trailer is pathetic. Anyway "Nemesis" and "S.T. Enterprise" had killed Star Trek already ...

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 19:08

I like the teaser ( but I know only 2 seasons of next generations and the movie nemesis )

But Abrams is not writer on the movie, why not

but I guess we are flooding :D

Return to “North America”